Fish oil side effects, though rare and minimal, can still occur if one takes in too much fish oil than the normal nutritional requirement.
However, anyone can still derive the many health benefits of this famous supplement by simply taking in the correct dosage depending on the person’s age, size, and health record.There are three types of good fat essential to the body: Alpha Linolenic acid (ALA), Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA). Fish oil pills contain two of the most important Omega 3 sources among these three types of fat – DHA and EPA. Since the body cannot produce these types of good fat by itself, the nutrients must be gained from external sources. This is why fish oil capsules are commonly used by people of all ages at present.
What are the benefits of fish oil?
Fish oil side effects are minimal in contrast to the various benefits that the oil can bring to the brain, the heart, and the body. Here are the primary benefits that fish oil provides:
- Prevents Heart Risks – Popping a pill a day improves blood circulation. It thins the blood thereby reducing blood clots. The supplement also regulates heart rate and maintains normal blood pressure.
- Improves Memory – The supplement is useful when studying or working because it increases alertness and recall capability. Moreover, it fights fatigue and anxiety due to stress.
- Fights Breast, Prostate, and Colon Cancer – Fish oil is known for inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, thereby preventing them from spreading throughout the body.
- Gives Glow – Although the oil has not been proven to directly cure acne, it does give the skin a natural glow.
Fish Oil Side Effects
From the most trivial to the most serious of diseases, fish oil can be harmful to the body when the dosage is not regulated. If the dosage is right, taking in the pill will bring no side effect.
- Fishy Burp – Taking in the pill may cause a fishy smell when the person lets out gas. This can be corrected when one drinks the supplement after every meal.
- Diarrhoea, indigestion, and heartburn, acid reflux – This occurs when a person takes in fish oil in very high doses. Accordingly, this will not happen when the dosage is proportionate to the person’s age and body size. For instance, those suffering from heart diseases may drink higher doses of fish oil than the average person. However, this has to be prescribed by a physician.
- Nausea – Jut like gastrointestinal infections, this can be avoided by not drinking too much fish oil.
- Nosebleed – This is because of the blood-thinning properties of the oil. Avoid this by knowing the right dosage.
- Easy Bruising
- Lower Blood Cholesterol – Since this omega oil thins the blood, drinking it may be harmful to those taking blood thinners.
How Much Fish Oil? Knowing the Correct Dosage
The correct dosage will depend on the age and body size of the person. Going to the doctor to ask advice on this matter may be the best thing to do. Nevertheless, an average adult can take in up to 3000mg of fish oil capsules per day. Labels of pill bottles will say that one should drink the pill three times a day. However, if you have just started drinking, it may be better to start with one pill a day, increasing the dosage as time goes on.
- Children – Kids may have a hard time swallowing a pill or capsule. What parents can do is to slice open the pill and let the child drink the liquid inside. However, make sure to let your child drink the liquid as soon as you cut the pill open to maintain the freshness of the oil. Begin with a 300mg-dosage per day.
- Average Adult – Beginning at 500mg is safe, but this can increase until the adult can take in 3000mg per day. Pregnant women can also drink the pill to improve the brain function of the foetus when it is born. Although the same dosage has produced no side effect on pregnant women, it is still better to consult medical opinion on the matter.
- Adults Taking In Blood Thinners – Consult the doctor first since fish oil also thins the blood. This may complicate your health problems further.
- Adults with Heart Disorders – The dosage can go as high as 4000mg per day. To be certain, consult with a doctor before making this vitamin a permanent part of the diet.
Both men and women, young and old, can avoid the possible negative effects of fish oil pills by drinking the correct dosage. Enjoy all the benefits of these vitamins without the negative fish oil side effects to have a healthy and clean lifestyle.