The wide-ranging benefits of fish oil supplements give justice to its popularity nowadays. From hair shine to a healthy heart rate, taking in a pill a day to supplement one’s diet is recommended by most doctors and nutritionists.
This is because fish oil contains Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), the two main ingredients which promote blood circulation, prevent cancer cell growth, regulate heart rate, and even give the skin a healthier glow.Fish oil vitamins are taken in at least once a day to as often as once after every meal. It usually comes in the form of soft gel capsules. However, it is better to start with one pill a day, increasing the dosage as you go along. The pill can also be sliced so that children can sip the liquid inside, in case they have a hard time swallowing tablets or capsules. To confirm the right fish oil dosage or your body type, consult the doctor first.
Benefits of Fish Oil Supplements
- Improves Blood Circulation, Reduces Heart Attacks – Fish oil thins the blood, which helps prevent the onset of heart attacks. It also prevents the blood from clotting and regulates blood circulation. In fact, salmon fish oil effectively reduces blood cholesterol. This is why many doctors recommend fish oil supplements for those afflicted with heart diseases, especially old people.
- Better Memory – Fish oil is also good for students and professionals alike because it helps brain output. It gives stronger recall for memorizing and remembering tidbits of information.
- Decreases the Chances of Depression – Studies have shown that taking in fish oil supplements can prevent the occurrence of depression. It also helps relieve stress, anxiety, and fatigue.
- Contributes to Weight Loss – Despite going on a diet and trying to lose weight, people still need the same amount of nutrients and vitamins to keep them healthy and fit. Fish oil pills can retain that level of nutrition required even as a person is losing weight. They are a good supplement to health buffs.
- Glowing Skin – Although no direct link has been shown between fish oil and removing acne, the benefits of fish oil supplements extend to providing shiny hair and glowing skin. In fact, fish oil prevents aging and the appearance of wrinkles.
- Stops inflammation – Pain in the joints is commonly caused by arthritis, and taking in fish oil vitamins can greatly reduce such inflammation.
Side Effects of Fish Oil Capsules
This vitamin may cause minor side effects that can be avoided by any cautious person.
- Rancid Pills – It is important to keep the fish oil container tightly sealed. This is because fish oil capsules are vulnerable to oxygen that can easily make the pills rancid and oxidized. Oxidized pills can give off a strong fishy smell and taste. Worse, it can lead to radical-producing chemicals that can lead to cancer. Refrigerating the pills after opening can solve this problem.
- Fishy Burp or Aftertaste – This side effect is the most common, especially for first-time takers. This can be prevented by taking in the supplement right after eating. Burping too much may also be the result of eating too much or too fast.
- Indigestion – This side effect can be avoided by drinking the vitamin after eating.
With the proper intake depending on the person’s age and body size, taking fish oil vitamins after eating can be the best way to reduce the risk of illnesses. This can even promote a stronger body despite trying to lose weight.
One of the best qualities of drinking fish oil supplements is its ability to improve not just one’s health, but also the emotional and mental well-being of the person. These benefits certainly outweigh the minor and avoidable side effects of drinking the pill. Certainly, any person who wants to live long will not have any reason not to make fish oil supplements a normal part of his diet.